Monday, November 16, 2009

love | life holiday card

I have been handcrafting my holiday card for several years. This year I decided to make a special set available for purchase. Here's the first in a small series of limited edition holiday cards, using some of my favorite techniques:


These are a limited edition of 50. I'm thrilled with what the customer/friend who has purchase the first 25 said "...for my family and closest friends ... they will be my gifts, a work of art and a card of holiday greeting all rolled into one."


I started with an original illustration from my sketchbook, then inked it all in black. I scanned in the illustration and made it to size, printed it on a lazer printer. I mixed the special ink and gocco printed the tree. Gocco was developed in Japan. In gocco printing, a thermally imprinted screen is used to hand print liimited edition of images. Production of print gocco materials has recently been discontinued, I have limited materials. Gocco prints are now becoming an increasingly rare form of printing.


The little bird was also an original sketch. I hand carved the bird stamp using mastercarve substrate and carving tools. Now I can position the little cardinals anywhere.


painted highlights of the leaves and added splattering of festive red and spray of sparkles.



I'm finishing up a few different designs. Each edition will be less than 50, all signed and numbered. These are monarch size card (7.25 X 3.625) and come with a open end policy envelope. I'll be posting a few more handcrafted cards by the end of the week. You can purchase them through my etsy site www.clynstudio.etsy.com or email me.

4 comments:

Pippin said...

Beautiful. I just finished my painting for my holiday card. Will post it soon. I really like your work!

Deborah said...

Hi Cherylyn,

I just wanted to stop by to let you know that you are the Winner of our "Handmade Holiday Card Contest" and have won a $50 DANIEL SMITH Gift Certificate!

Thank you for entering, and enjoyed reading about how you made the card both inside the card and on your blog!

~Deborah
DANIEL SMITH Blog Author:
http://danielsmithblog.com/2009/12/08/daniel-smith-handmade-holiday-card-contest-winners/

Genevieve said...

You're win was well deserved! Congrats!

Patrice said...

Congrats on winning the DS card contest with this really lovely card! :)