Tuesday, November 3, 2009

perfectly imperfect

I've been a bit blog quiet. It's been an eventful and productive October, but I have a lot to talk about and many posts to get out of my sketch book and into cyber space. So here's a little look into one of my creations. When I started sketches for my piece for the Collage Sisthars Alphabetica Show my idea/sketch looked like this.
A happy angel with wings that flutter a light air about her, a heart put away in a drawer in her chest. But when completed it looks like this.

After a few unplanned but happy accidents, like my bronze bust breaking. It seems more dark, but somehow more real. I'm not sure if this an evolution in my work or the work taking on a life of it's own. Letting the dark come through, intergrating my short comings rather than hiding them. This piece was originally intended to use the flash card "woman" and depict a happy, motherly angel, but has unintentionally become a bit of a self portrait, distorted, shredding of what a woman means and the roles played. These roles are a bit tattered and worn but truthful and heartfelt. Perfectly imperfect.

retrospect realization
(added nov. 10)
After reading this weekend found this quote:
"I have no fear of making changes, destroying the image, etc, because the painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through." - Jackson Pollack
reminds me a bit of the process of my creations.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Really lovely!
Though your roles may be fragile or fluid, the core of your being is strong... solid... reinforced.

Kate England | Marmalade Moon said...

Cherylyn, I LOVE this piece and thank you for letting us see your creative process and your thoughts around it! I ADORE the name for this piece, perfectly imperfect...

jqline said...

Cherylyn, ia dore this piece and thank you for sharing your creation process! It's so inspirational! Loving that quote by jackson pollackreminds! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

jacqueline
http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/