Wednesday, June 30, 2010

lingering butterflies


So I've been noticing butterflies have been taunting me - following me lately. My first recollection was a dreary, cool day in early Spring. It was morning and my daughter was being especially defiant. I started yelling, correction I have to admit I was screaming at her. We were late, she didn't want her hair combed, wouldn't eat her breakfast, the usual arguments. But then she said, "look Mama, a butterfly" and indeed on the screening drape there was a butterfly. I gently scooped it up and placed my cupped hands outside and opened - letting go. And in that moment, I was reminded of the importance of gentleness, independence and flight - keeping life in balance, especially through challenges. Since that morning, I have had many encounters of the flittering beings. I know it's the season, but I believe they are more than just flittering past. When they appear, they follow me, lingering about, like a friend that wants to say something  - sensing, but will not probe or condemn. Well, I'm listening - trying.
from Wiki Answers: There are many links with butterflies in mythology from all over the world, many of which, in particular Greek mythology, link butterflies to the human soul. The Ancient Greeks also considered butterflies as the souls of those who had passed away.
 The butterfly is a reminder to make changes when the opportunity arises.

No comments: