Monday, October 18, 2010

read ~ view ~ do

Information and inspiration are not anything without implementation.
Any endeavor, be it fitness, financial, relationships or artistic, you need to actually experience it. You can read books, blogs, websites - listen to podcasts or YouTube videos - view peer efforts on facebook and flickr - but if you don't make time to execute your thoughts ~ you haven't achieved anything. There is so much information and inspiration available it can be overwhelming. And if you're like me, time is a limited commodity - it's hard to sit back, digest and let all the information mull around your head and then - execute, do, CREATE!
That's one of the many reasons I take classes and workshops. I consider it forced studio time. I try to go into my own studio as much as possible, but with everything around me, it's sometimes hard to focus. I had the opportunity to take a few classes this Fall. A workshop by Lisa Bebi, organized by Collage Sisthar, Linda (thank you!) A stylized way to paint over black and white pictures.
And of course, I tried to get more done than possible - so neither are quite finished yet. Hopefully I'll post the completed piece soon.
Suzanne: spoiler alert, just in case you haven't received your package just yet ;)

oh, but the above fun perpetuated further experiment - a card for my dear friend who recently had a baby.
As I've confessed many times before, I have many passions. One started long ago. Bookbinding! Here are a few books from Cheryl Mahowald's book binding class at the Fine Line. I especially love coptic binding, which allows the inner pages to lay flat. We learned binding on tapes, a single needle coptic and then a multi-needle coptic (the big one). This one utilized 8 needles (well nine, if you consider the one that broke!) Here are the treasures from that 4 week class.
And I combined the techniques learned from both classes, plus the ideas I've read in many of my favorite books, including these: (by Corey Moortgat, Karen Michel and Kelly Rae Roberts)
to make this wee little artistic Momma journal. ahhh... isn't she sweet?
And sometimes I just do things on a whim. Like attending the Beckoning of Lovely event on 10.10.10 at 10:10 pm in Millennium Park! I walked a way with a heart a bit more full, a little note reminding me to live for today and penny wishes for clarity for tomorrow.
Wow, that's quite a bit of sharing for one post. And I have quite a few Metal Clay and Jewelry experiments to share also, but that's for another day. Needless to say, I've been busy. Hope the colder weather is helping your carve out a bit of time for you to create and do things your passionate about.

No comments: