Monday, October 10, 2011

be gentle

be gentler than you need to, because you never know what battle someone is facing.
I was fortunate enough to have taken a class from Thomas Mann at the Fine Line this August. Personal Found Object Sandwich. Here are a few of the finished samples of the class work. Excellent artist statements. My creation became gratefully more personal than I anticipated. A special thank you to Thomas, for insisting and helping me finish it. It was certainly destined to be another UFO (unfinished object) in my repertoire.
As usual I seemed to not bring the "right" elements. Of course I had cool old photos of my own not so familiar family and others of my daughter. But nothing seemed right. Then I came across these treasured photographs in my stash. Personal items, I've carried close for years; waiting for the right day. Well, it seemed the day arrived. I started sketching.
The story } The photo is of a dear friend of mine, that lost his fight to cancer 21 years ago this September. He never really liked his picture taken, but this crop tells more than his silly smirk might anyway. It might be hard to depict, but he is leaning over petting a goose. These pictures were taken on the same day at a local pond with my first 110 film camera.
"We don't remember days, we remember moments" - Cesare Pavese
So true, there are times I might need to look at a picture to remember his face. But I will never forget his gentleness.
I sometimes have to remind myself to extend the same gentleness to myself and others, especially when circumstances fall short of expectations.
Here's another shot, with the feathers I've collected over the years, seemingly to appear when I need encouragement the most... the tell-tale colors, blue, black and gray. Including the most recent one that appeared on my doorstep right after his Mom came to visit my new place. I'm grateful to have known the gentleness of my guardian angel. I feel good that this moment is captured in a piece of art, in a way it has been created to not only remember, but to let go...
be gentle to one another... xox

2 comments:

AFD Retirees said...

What beautiful thoughts. You know you will always have that angel looking out for you.

jess said...

this is so beautiful, cherylyn. lovely.