Tuesday, November 13, 2012

north star

I read The North Star by Peter Reynolds to my daughter tonight. I know I have read it to her (and even myself) before. But today seemed like a good day to connect with that story. I'm not sure if she is just sensitive or classmates are really being mean, but more than once this school year she has told me about some events with tears in her eyes. It's hard to say just ignore them. Do what you think is right.

The story is about a little boy that is on a journey. He meets animals along his path that help him find his way, but remind him, their way is not necessarily his to follow. He helps little animals, that quickly scurry on by. He finds friends that are happy to stay where they are. But is reminded, he must move on and follow his star, his heart. One of my favorite lines in the book, among many others, is when he meets up with a bird after losing his way that says,
"Ask yourself where it is you want to go, and then follow the signs you already know."

We talked about the story and the star afterwards ~ and to my surprise, it was obvious, she made the connection, this was more than just a boy in the woods. I know I say it often, but I am so thankful for my muse ~ her eyes and heart share so much. ~ xo ~

No comments: